Heather was raised to give 100% to every endeavor. Since her earliest experiences in Girl Scouts, numerous volunteer events and organizations, she has always sought to make a difference. After graduating college, she served our country with 23 years of distinguished Naval service. Dedicated to self-improvement, she obtained masters degrees in Asian studies, conflict resolution, cyber security policy and emergency management while on active duty. She is qualified as a Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) with the International Association of Emergency Mangers. She has a PhD in Public Policy & Administration with a specialization in Emergency Management. Her dissertation focused on childcare recovery.
As a working parent of two, she became aware of just how much of a gap existed in emergency preparedness and recovery training and resources for childcare providers and vowed to use her experiences, education, and more importantly, motivation, to help improve current limitations. Her love of reading has naturally matured into a love or teaching and writing. In addition to publishing books to help teach children about what to do in case of disaster, she has also created a nonprofit, BLOCKS. BLOCKS’ mission is to help prepare childcare for disaster.
You can contact her at email@example.com to learn more about her writing. To learn more about her nonprofit efforts to help keep children safe, please check out her website at www.blocksusa.org.
Listen to her speeches our read about her thoughts on childcare preparedness, recovery, and insights about her writing...
- 2016 IAEM EM Vision Talk - Childcare and Recovery
- PediaPlay Blog - Why Aren't We Preparing Kids for Disaster?
- EM Weekly - A Discussion on Preparedness of Daycare Facilities
- Teaching Children about Disaster - An Interview with Author Heather Beal
- Homeland Security Today - Former Navy Commander Pens Books to Prepare Children for Disaster
- A Few Questions with Dr. Beal
- The Need to Integrate Childcare Recovery into Community Recovery. 2020 Millersville University Center for Disaster Research & Education (CDRE) Virtual Seminar Series, Millersville, Pennsylvania
- Children the Forgotten Disaster Preparedness Super Heroes. 2020 ResCon International Global Resilience Virtual Summit.
- 2020 IAEM EM Vision Talk - Superheroes, Legos, and Germs Oh My
Please see our current and upcoming publications sections to learn more about other books available to help prepare your little ones for disaster or to suggest areas we should focus on. Thank you for your support and enjoy the book(s)!